Wilshaw Village Hall was built in 1873 as St Mary's Village School by mill-owner and philanthropist Joseph Hirst. Now Grade II listed, Wilshaw Village Hall served as the village school until 1974. After the school closed, ownership passed to a local charity, the Eleanor Hirst Trust. In 1982 Wilshaw Village Hall Trust was formed and a 30 year lease on the Hall was granted, for use as a community space. The attached Schoolmaster's House became a private residence.
In 2018 the Wilshaw Village Hall Trust bought the Hall building outright and have committed to working to renovate and modernise it for the village and surrounding community. Read more about our Rejuvenation Project here.
Wilshaw Village Hall is fully accessible with wheelchair access, disabled parking and accessible toilet facilities.
The Hall is made up of a large hall, which can comfortably hold 60 people, a large kitchen area and toilet facilities.
Outside, the Hall has a small lawn, and we soon hope to have outside seating and a picnic table.
Accessible from a large private tarmac car-park, with further on street parking available, the Hall is also easily accessibly via the 335 bus which runs between Holmfirth and Slaithwaite. Note that the grassy parking area in front of the hall belongs to the Schoolmaster's House.
In addition to the regular classes, events and activities the hall is available for private hire. The space is perfect for events such as:
Parties (unfortunately we are unable to host teenage parties)
Community Group Meetings
To book the Hall please see more information on our bookings page or contact our very friendly and efficient booking secretary Liz on 01484 850488 or at firstname.lastname@example.org